What is a 10X Business Process Specialist?
Business process experts are specialists who aim to improve a company's operations. They enter a business environment, recognize efficiency issues, and create a game plan to tackle these issues and improve workflows.
They serve two primary roles and possess one essential skill:
- They are Business Analysts with a solid understanding of a business unit’s processes and goals. They’re responsible for gathering resources and creating process models. They use a variety of tools and methodologies to achieve this.
- They are Application Consultants, being responsible for configuring applications, identifying gaps, mapping out process models, and developing solutions to improve processes. They may also be domain experts for the processes you’re trying to optimize, although this isn’t necessary.
- They have Modeling skills that include configuration, modeling process flows, and adaptation of applications.
On the other hand, a 10X business process expert is ten times more efficient than the average business process expert. This is because they have the experience, knowledge, track record, and work ethic that puts them above the rest!
How Business Process Experts Operate
You can't expect a business process expert to enter a business, wave a magic wand, and immediately solve a business's issues. Instead, they must become involved in the organization and analyze its current state.
This typically involves time, observing employees, and taking detailed notes. They’ll likely ask questions to gather an understanding of your existing work processes, goals, pain points, and more.
More specifically, a business process expert will closely evaluate areas such as:
- Communication between employees and management
- Time management
- Unnecessary steps/processes that can be eliminated
- Resource management
- Work processes that have more efficient alternatives
Once the business process expert has identified areas of improvement, they will report back to upper management. They will then work closely with the team to bring about these improvements.
Why Hire a Business Process Expert?
Circumstances often change in the market, requiring your business to adapt accordingly. This is where a business process specialist can help.
There are 3 key shifts that may cause you to need a business process expert:
- Market Shift: Your process needs to adapt when the market changes. When customer expectations shift, so does demand. To keep up, businesses need to pivot quickly.
- Procedural Shift: Processes can get impacted by outside influences such as suppliers changing products and changes to business regulations. This can cause the business to come to a halt. Businesses have to quickly assess the situation and start devising a plan of action.
- Technological Shift: Technology is constantly changing. Often, businesses get stuck using outdated technology out of habit. A business process expert can identify the tech needed to complete the job most efficiently.
Benefits of a Business Process Specialist
There are many ways that a business process specialist can benefit your business. For instance, they can help:
- Ensure tasks are getting done as quickly as possible.
- Identify tasks that can be automated.
- Identify ineffective management practices.
- Identify gaps in processes.
- Promote organization and consistency.
- Enhance communication.
Sometimes, employees are reluctant to bring up issues to upper management. Therefore, hiring a business process expert will offer the advantage of complete transparency and honesty from an outsider who isn’t afraid of making suggestions!
It's also nice to get a fresh pair of eyes on your workflows. Often, it's easy to get stuck in routines that are inefficient. A business process expert will be able to identify and bring light to these blind spots.
How Does One Achieve the Role of a Business Process Expert?
Becoming a 10X business process specialist is like running through the “gauntlet.” They have to go through a long process of learning, unlearning, and understanding.
You can expect a 10X business process expert to:
- Possess the ability to configure an application and understand the language of configuration.
- Understand specific applications and solutions such as main business objectives, processes, and services.
- Be proficient in MS Word and Excel.
- Understand and apply methodologies for modeling business process flows and gathering requirements.
- Understand core processes and business operations.
- Have a formal college education in information technology, business administration, or information systems. That said, this is becoming increasingly optional as companies focus more on hiring process specialists based on their track record.
What is the Bar for a 10X Business Process Expert?
What makes a good 10X business process expert? Simple: Skills and experience. Below is a list of skills and experience that will ensure you choose the perfect business process expert for your business!
Necessary experience for an effective business process specialist:
- Work experience in operations, tech support, and project management.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Have years of experience in data visualization, reporting, and dashboard creation.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and utilize it to make workflow recommendations.
Necessary skills for an effective business process specialist:
- Must have strong problem-solving and data analytics skills.
- Must be able to interact with stakeholders and have impeccable verbal and communication skills.
- Must be able to meet strict deadlines and work under stressful conditions.
- Hardworking and self-motivated.
At Baton, we pair our clients with only the most qualified business process experts. Our experts will thoroughly document your standard operating procedures, discover all of your edge cases, and manage workstreams for you!
Responsibilities of a Business Process Expert
There is a wide range of responsibilities that a business process expert will undertake. Possessing the knowledge to tackle these responsibilities will ensure your business process specialist is more than capable of refining your workflows.
Some of the most important responsibilities include:
- Analyze and document workflows and processes.
- Develop project schedules.
- Create solutions to address workflow challenges.
- Create detailed reports.
- Following up to assess the success of workflow changes.
Template for Hiring a Business Process Expert
Looking to hire a business process expert to improve your workflows? If so, feel free to copy and paste our hiring template:
Business Process Expert Job Description:
We are looking to hire a business process specialist with a degree in information technology, business administration, information systems, or a related field.
The business process specialist will be a team player in our operations department. The primary functions of this role include improving daily processes, overseeing operations and workflows, providing detailed reporting, investigating and rectifying problems within our systems, monitoring operations to ensure quality standards are met, and that projects are completed by their deadlines.
Business Process Expert Duties
- Ensure compliance with safety regulations.
- Monitor schedules and ensure projects are completed by their deadlines.
- Create detailed reports.
- Implement plans to improve workflows and provide cost savings.
- Oversee projects and maintain logs.
- Perform ongoing analyses on operations related to quality standards, output, teamwork, planning, management, and costs.
- Provide training and support when necessary.
Business Process Expert Qualifications and Skills
- Have a minimum of 3 years of experience working as a business process specialist in a related field.
- Must be a leader.
- Writing, reporting, presentation, and implementation skills.
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Must be punctual, dependable, and level-headed.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Proven experience improving business workflows.
- Have impeccable verbal and communication skills.
- Ability to be a team player and collaborate effectively.
- Have a positive attitude.
- A Bachelor’s degree in information technology, business administration, information systems, or a related field.
Average U.S. Salary for a Business Process Expert
According to Glassdoor, the average base pay for a business process expert is $95,413 in the United States. However, this number may vary depending on the experience of the individual. At Baton, we cut your operation costs by $500,000 per year by delegating your work to business process experts and other specialists in your industry for a fraction of the cost.
For instance, a business process specialist with less than one year of experience averages $88,992. On the other hand, a specialist with more than 15 years of experience averages $109,896. Many business process experts are freelancers and typically charge $35-150 per hour.
Although these base salaries may seem high, a business process expert is well worth the investment.
Finding a Good Business Process Specialist
According to Entrepreneur, inefficient business processes cost companies 20 to 30 percent in revenue each year. Therefore, you want to find a business process expert that can help eliminate these inefficiencies and maximize your revenue!
Here are the top things to consider when searching for a qualified business process specialist:
Evaluate their Experience
Unless you’re dealing with a business process specialist that is straight out of college, they should have experience working with a multitude of companies. Be sure to ask what companies they’ve worked with and how they were able to improve their workflows. Don’t be afraid to ask for references to confirm these claims.
Remember that not every business process expert will have experience working in your industry. However, many businesses share similar processes. Don’t be afraid to ask about companies they’ve worked with that may share similar processes to yours.
Are They Effective Communicators?
It’s important to understand that business process specialists don’t just write reports and monitor employees. Instead, their job is heavily based on communication and collaboration.
Therefore, any business process expert should have excellent communication skills. They will be working directly with employees and management to improve workflows. Plus, asking questions is an integral part of the initial familiarization of your company’s operations.
Don’t Base Your Decision Solely on Cost
Cheaper does not always mean better, and this is particularly true when it comes to business process experts.
Costs can range greatly. It’s usually safe to assume that a more expensive business process specialist will have a more extensive track record. However, be sure to ask about their track record during the interview process to ensure they’re worth the cost.
It’s also important to analyze it from a value-based perspective rather than a cost-based perspective. Business process experts can save your business a significant amount of money, and it’s typically well-worth the investment.
Evaluate their Research Experience
Research is another integral part of a business process expert’s job. Prior to developing new and improved processes, they must first identify the processes that need refining. Business process experts will not only conduct research within a company, however. They will also study industry trends as techniques are constantly evolving.
When interviewing a potential candidate, be sure to ask about their research process and how they will apply it to your business.
Hiring the Perfect Business Process Expert with Baton
In theory, a 10X business process expert is ten times more efficient than a normal business process expert. Even though this is a figurative number, there is still a huge gap in the experience.
These candidates will surely stand out. You will notice that some will outwork and produce all of the results for the team. Even though hiring a 10X business process expert will bring more efficiency, placing them in the wrong position will cause damage. That’s why it’s important to understand everything about the position or consult an expert to help.
Baton can help you outsource your work to a group of 10x business process experts, or help hire the perfect candidates for your team. You can visit our website and chat with a specialist to see how Baton can fill your hiring needs.